LIVE NEWS
▲ New updates available — tap to view
Loading latest news...

Head News

Internet Shut Down Around Jantar Mantar in Delhi; Students Fear Crackdown

cjp 3 1784822900

Darwin, 24 July : Student protests in New Delhi against alleged question paper leaks and corruption in India’s National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) for medical admissions continue. Amid the ongoing demonstrations, India’s Ministry of Home Affairs has ordered the suspension of mobile internet services within a 1.5-kilometre radius of Jantar Mantar, the epicentre of the protests.

In this situation, protesting students expressed fears of a large-scale crackdown overnight on Thursday, according to The Times of India.

However, Delhi Police denied the allegations that it was planning an operation to suppress the protests. In a statement, the police said no such plan existed and urged the public to refrain from spreading or sharing “misleading” and “unverified” information.

Meanwhile, the Ministry of Home Affairs stated that mobile internet services would remain suspended from 4:00 p.m. until midnight on Thursday within a 1.5-kilometre radius of Jantar Mantar to ensure security following isolated incidents of violence in different areas.

Earlier, authorities had already deployed high-powered mobile signal jammers in designated locations from Wednesday night as part of enhanced security measures to manage the tense situation.

The central government took the stricter measures after several incidents of violence in Connaught Place and Central Delhi, in which at least six police personnel were injured.

On Tuesday, protesters in nearby Connaught Place allegedly attacked a 45-year-old member of the Rapid Action Force (RAF) with sticks and swords, leaving him seriously injured.

The suspension of mobile internet services around Jantar Mantar came amid fears that tensions surrounding the protests led by the Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) could escalate further. Reports of sporadic clashes and violence emerged in and around the protest site on Wednesday evening.

To maintain law and order, a large number of police personnel have been deployed in and around Jantar Mantar. Police sources said that at least six officers, including two Assistant Commissioners of Police (ACPs), were injured during the clashes.

Amid heightened security concerns, the New Delhi Traders’ Association (NDTA) instructed all shops, offices and restaurants in Connaught Place (Rajiv Chowk) to close by 6:30 p.m. on Thursday.

The advisory was issued after the association said it had received telephone instructions from the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC). Citing the “critical situation” around Connaught Place due to the ongoing CJP protests, the traders’ body urged all commercial establishments to suspend business operations.

The advisory stated that the precautionary measure was intended to prevent any untoward incidents, damage to property, or casualties.

NDTA representatives said the decision was taken after the NDMC informed them of the massive crowd gathering in and around Connaught Place.

Explaining the decision, NDTA President Atul Bhargava said the closure was necessary to ensure the safety of employees and customers.

“There was a huge gathering in Connaught Place, with thousands of people assembling in the area. Considering the evolving situation and in the interest of the safety of our staff and customers, we decided to shut down shops as quickly as possible as a precautionary measure,” he said.

Related News

image 321013 1787404373

North Korea Condemns Japan’s Plan to Increase Defense Spending to Record Levels

Darwin, August 23: North Korea has strongly criticized Japan’s plan to increase its defense budget to a record level, warning that higher military spending could…

image 320919 1787376720

Trump Calls Strait of Hormuz ‘American Territory’ Amid Rising Tensions With Iran

Darwin, August 23 : US President Donald Trump has described the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz as “American territory,” while saying that Iran is interested…

turkey 20260821081946

Turkey Rejects Netanyahu’s ‘Trap’ After Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase

Darwin, August 22: Israel carried out a strike last week on the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria’s Idlib province, claiming that Turkey was seeking to…

image 320353 1787208751

Massive Russian Missile Attack on Kyiv Leaves 12 Dead, 33 Injured

Darwin, August 20 : At least 12 people have been killed and 33 others injured in a massive overnight Russian missile and drone attack on…

IMG 20260819 WA0005

Nine Bangladeshis Killed in Kolkata Hotel Fire

Darwin, August 19:  Nine Bangladeshi nationals, including two women and a child, were killed in a fire that broke out at a three-storey hotel near…

IMG 20260818 WA0014

Hayden Panettiere, ‘Heroes’ and ‘Remember the Titans’ Star, Dies at 36

Entertainment Desk: Hayden Panettiere, the actress best known for her roles in Heroes, Remember the Titans and Nashville, has died at the age of 36,…

ukraine crisis russia wildberries moscow scaled

Ukraine Attacks Russia With More Than 800 Drones

Darwin, August 17 : Ukraine launched a major overnight drone attack on Russia, involving more than 800 drones, in one of the largest aerial assaults…

image 319125 1786857762

Egypt Could Join Türkiye-Saudi-Pakistan Mutual Defense Pact

Darwin, August 17: Egypt could join the mutual defense pact recently signed by Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said. In…

f

Search