LIVE NEWS
▲ New updates available — tap to view
Loading latest news...

World

Gazans Return Home to Ruins Under New Ceasefire

  • 3:35 pm - October 11, 2025
  • World
Palesinians return to home

GAZA, Palestine: As a new ceasefire took effect on Friday, thousands of Palestinians began the long and difficult journey back to northern Gaza from the south, only to find their city reduced to rubble. Despite the devastation, many expressed overwhelming joy at the prospect of returning home, even if little remains of what they once knew.

The northern part of Gaza, which was a primary target of Israel’s war in the enclave, now lies in ruins. Aerial footage and reports from returning residents show a landscape of flattened buildings and destroyed infrastructure, with no electricity or running water.

“I pray that God relieves our sorrow and distress and that people return to their homes. Even if the houses are destroyed, we will return, God willing,” said Ahmad Abu Watfa, who was making the trek back to his home in Sheikh Radwan.

For many, this is the second time they have attempted to return. Israel had previously allowed a brief homecoming during a ceasefire in January, but residents were forced to evacuate again in early September ahead of a ground invasion. An Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson confirmed that movement from south to north was permitted via the coastal Al-Rashid Street and the central Salah al-Din Road.

Grief and Devastation Amid the Rubble

The homecoming was filled with heartbreak and grim discoveries. Footage shows widespread destruction, and according to Mohammed Abu Salmiya, director of Al-Shifa hospital, at least 33 bodies were recovered from Gaza City on Friday after the IDF’s withdrawal from some areas.

Majdi Fuad Mohammad Al-Khour, a 70-year-old resident of Tal el Hawa, stood amid the ruins of his house and shared his story of loss. He said he had lost two children and his home of 40 years. “Now I cannot work, and my health does not allow me to. Where should I go?” he said.

The situation was already dire before the latest ground offensive, with the UN-backed Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) reporting that famine had taken hold of Gaza City in August. Medical teams returning to Al Rantisi hospital found it completely destroyed, with all equipment burned and ruined.

Cautious Optimism Amid Warnings

While many were relieved to be returning, some remained cautious. Sair Hikmat Subh from Beit Lahiya, who has been displaced nearly 20 times, said he was “tired and fed up” but happy the roadblock had been removed.

His caution proved justified. The IDF spokesperson warned that Israeli troops would still be present in parts of Gaza, including Beit Hanoun, Beit Lahia, and Shuja’iyya, and advised residents to avoid these “extremely dangerous” zones.

Under the ceasefire agreement, a 72-hour period for the release of hostages held by Hamas began on Friday, along with the release of nearly 2,000 Palestinian prisoners.

Related News

image 321013 1787404373

North Korea Condemns Japan’s Plan to Increase Defense Spending to Record Levels

Darwin, August 23: North Korea has strongly criticized Japan’s plan to increase its defense budget to a record level, warning that higher military spending could…

image 320919 1787376720

Trump Calls Strait of Hormuz ‘American Territory’ Amid Rising Tensions With Iran

Darwin, August 23 : US President Donald Trump has described the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz as “American territory,” while saying that Iran is interested…

turkey 20260821081946

Turkey Rejects Netanyahu’s ‘Trap’ After Israeli Strike on Syrian Airbase

Darwin, August 22: Israel carried out a strike last week on the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria’s Idlib province, claiming that Turkey was seeking to…

image 320353 1787208751

Massive Russian Missile Attack on Kyiv Leaves 12 Dead, 33 Injured

Darwin, August 20 : At least 12 people have been killed and 33 others injured in a massive overnight Russian missile and drone attack on…

IMG 20260819 WA0005

Nine Bangladeshis Killed in Kolkata Hotel Fire

Darwin, August 19:  Nine Bangladeshi nationals, including two women and a child, were killed in a fire that broke out at a three-storey hotel near…

ukraine crisis russia wildberries moscow scaled

Ukraine Attacks Russia With More Than 800 Drones

Darwin, August 17 : Ukraine launched a major overnight drone attack on Russia, involving more than 800 drones, in one of the largest aerial assaults…

image 319125 1786857762

Egypt Could Join Türkiye-Saudi-Pakistan Mutual Defense Pact

Darwin, August 17: Egypt could join the mutual defense pact recently signed by Türkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has said. In…

f4a3651174cca1964f5989b54cd8aca4 6a818897c408a

ran Develops New Air Defense Structure During War: IRGC

Darwin, August 17: Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) has made major changes and reforms to the country’s air defense system, drawing on lessons learned from…

f

Search