Israel makes death penalty mandatory in military courts for West Bank Palestinians
Darwin, 18 May : Israel has enforced a new law imposing the death penalty on West Bank Palestinians convicted of deadly acts of terrorism through…
Darwin, 17 May : The United States and Israel are preparing for a possible new military campaign against Iran as early as next week, following a lack of progress in negotiations with Tehran. Two Middle Eastern officials told The New York Times on Friday (May 15) that both countries are currently making extensive preparations for such an operation.
According to U.S. officials quoted by the newspaper, if fighting resumes, Iran would face heavier bombardment than before, targeting military facilities as well as other key infrastructure.
The plans reportedly also include seizing Kharg Island in the Persian Gulf, which is Iran’s most important oil export hub.
In addition, officials said commandos could be sent into mainland Iran to retrieve enriched uranium.
However, recovering the uranium would be extremely risky and could lead to significant casualties. It would also require the deployment of several thousand supporting troops, potentially leading to direct clashes with Iranian forces.
An Israeli official told Israeli media outlet Channel 12 that Israel is preparing under the assumption that war is imminent. The country is now watching closely to see how U.S. President Donald Trump handles negotiations with Iran.
The unnamed official said, “The Americans have realized that negotiations with Iran will not produce any solution. We are preparing for a war that could last from several days to several weeks, and we are waiting for President Trump’s final decision. We expect to know much more within the next 24 hours.”
Earlier, while returning from a visit to China last Friday, Trump stated that he might consider an agreement if Iran genuinely commits to halting uranium enrichment for 20 years. Previously, Trump had demanded that Iran permanently end uranium enrichment.