Israel makes death penalty mandatory in military courts for West Bank Palestinians
Darwin, 18 May : Israel has enforced a new law imposing the death penalty on West Bank Palestinians convicted of deadly acts of terrorism through…
Darwin, 17 May : Several European countries are in discussions with Tehran regarding ship transit through the Strait of Hormuz, according to Iranian state television.
In a report broadcast on Saturday, the channel said that after negotiations involving East Asian countries, European nations have also started talks over maritime passage through the strategic waterway.
AFP reported the development from Tehran.
Iranian state television stated, “Following the transit arrangements for ships from East Asian countries including China, Japan, and Pakistan, we have now received information that Europeans have also begun negotiations with the Revolutionary Guards Navy to obtain permission to cross the strait.”
However, the report did not specify which European countries are involved in the discussions.
Since the outbreak of war with the United States and Israel on February 28, Iran has significantly restricted shipping through the vital maritime route.
A fragile ceasefire has been in effect in the area since April 8.
Iran’s control over the waterway has raised concerns in global markets while also increasing Tehran’s strategic leverage.
At the same time, the United States has imposed its own naval blockade on Iranian ports.
Under normal circumstances, nearly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas shipments pass through the Strait of Hormuz. Various other critical goods are also transported via the route.
In recent days, Iran has allowed dozens of vessels, including Chinese ships, to pass through the strait.
In a statement, the Revolutionary Guards said the vessels were granted passage after reaching an understanding over what it called “Iran’s Strait Management Protocol.”
Since the war began, Iran has repeatedly stated that maritime traffic through the strait would never return to its “pre-war condition.”
Last month, Tehran announced that it had generated revenue for the first time from tolls imposed on the use of the waterway.
On Saturday, Ebrahim Azizi, head of the Iranian Parliament’s National Security Commission, said Iran had prepared “professional mechanisms” to regulate traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.
He added that the measures would be announced very soon.
Azizi further stated, “Only commercial vessels and those cooperating with Iran will benefit from this process.”
He also said that fees would be charged for specialized services.
Referring to the United States’ temporary military operations aimed at assisting stranded commercial shipping in the region, Azizi said, “The route will remain closed to the operators of the so-called ‘Freedom Project.’”